This is a very popular activity used in most teambuilding sessions we run simply because it delivers results every time. It has existed from long before us, in various forms and with a variety of names. The activity can be structured to focus on particular issues by changing a few parameters or altering the instructions.
Explore overall team-building issues to see how the participants get along.
- Rope about 20 meters long
- Blindfolds for each participant
Step By Step Instructions
- Before commencing the activity, tie a length of rope (about 20m) into a circle. Hand over blindfolds to everyone.
- To successfully complete this activity, all the team has to do is to form the rope into the shape of a perfect square.
- Allowing each team 15 minutes of planning time, in which no one may touch the rope. At the end of this time, everyone will be blindfolded and the rope will be placed in the teams’ hands.
- Each team will have 10 minutes to form the square.
- All the team members must be holding the rope.
- Once they think that the square is complete, they lay the rope on the floor
- Ask questions to draw out conclusions focusing on one or some of these traits
– Attention to detail
– Creating a square
- Don’t tie the rope into a circle at the start.
- Instead of a square, the facilitator can use any other shape