Bounce Jump Bounce Energizers
Bounce Jump Bounce is a quick energizer activity that get’s groups active after a break or the start of the day.
This activity can easily be used to wake up crowds after having been seated for a while. Have everyone stand and find a partner. Then have them hold out their arms and extend them as far to the side as they can go.
Before moving on with the activity, ask each person to think of a number that is between 1 and 5. The paired members must now add their numbers together. Each person should then tell their partner the number they chose. Each pair must now turn their backs to each other and interlock their arms.
Everybody must now jump up and down, the amount of times they jump must equal the sum of the two numbers. In the beginning of the game, make sure as the facilitator, you don’t tell the group too much about what everybody is about to do. Some might figure it out anyway and then choose the lowest number.
There is not always an even number of people available, so in order to even things out, join the crowd and make up a pair. You could also have three members join together for the activity. Some of the more active participants may attempt to lean forward, thus causing their partner to lift off the floor, just make sure they are okay with this. Both paired members must be having fun and agree with what’s happening.
You can also add a number of different variations for this activity, for example:
- Big Groups: For even larger groups, everybody could group together in three’s or even four. If there are four or more in a group, to make it easier, have them face each other and then continue with the jumping. They could also just face outward in a circle with their arms inter-linked and then jump. Obviously for larger groups together, the amount of times to jump up and down will increase.
- More numbers: Instead of just choosing numbers between 1 and 5, make it between 1 and 10.
Step by Step Instructions to facilitate Bounce Jump Bounce
- This activity is great to do with 10 to about 30 people
- It is an active and quick game that helps to bring up the group’s energy levels
- The activity requires no props and should only take about 1-2 minutes to complete
- Have the group form into pairs
- Inform each person to think of a number that lies between 1 and 5
- This number they must share with their partner
- Now work out the total of the two numbers together
- Have each pair turn their backs to each other, then hook their arms together by the elbows.
- The pair must now jump up and down. how many times they jump equals their combined numbers.
- This can be repeated with other members in the group, or there are some variations to try out.
Questions, tips and reflections
Some questions can go a long way to help the group process their experience. Here are a few simple questions to ask after the ‘Bounce jump bounce’ Activity:
- How did you and your partner successfully jump together?
- Did you find it difficult to co-ordinate the jumps?
- Do you think there is any value in performing this activity?
- Does being successful with the activity directly relate with the overall group dynamics?