Photo Finish Game Team Building
The purpose of this activity is to get the entire team over the finish line simultaneously. If just one member of the team falls behind, then they need to start over again. This whole challenge requires organisation, clear communication, time management and flexibility.
Suggested Learning Outcomes of Photo Finish
- Team building skills
- Communication and cooperation
- Successful management of time
Marker cones or rope (anything to make a straight line with).
Small Space Indoors or Outdoors.
8 to 15 ideally, but can be done with up to 20.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief the group, allow planning and set up
- 10 minutes to achieve outcome
- 5 minutes review and debrief
Running the Photo Finish Activity
- Line the team up side-by-side behind a marked line on the floor (can be marked with a length of rope or cones).
- Explain that every team member must step across the line at exactly the same time.
- Give the group 10 minutes to make 5 attempts to cross the finish line.
- If one person steps across before the rest of the group does, and the group is out of sync, then you shout, ‘click’ and the team restarts the challenge.
- Think about your placement, keep an eye on everyone and remain vigilant at all times. The group will find it difficult to start with as they rarely prepare for the challenge.
Activity Guidance and Notes for Facilitators
The group needs to be given some time, in order to plan effectively before the activity commences. Organisation is vital in order to complete the activity and avoid confusion and yelling amongst the members of the group. If the team fails to elect a leader at the start, bring them back to the starting point and have them discuss the issue.
The main objective of the activity is cooperation. Certain individuals might put the blame on other team members when they fail the exercise. Let them all understand that the failure was a result of a lack of team work. Have the team rather concentrate on encouraging and supporting one another.
There is no hard and fast rule for success in the challenge. The most effective solution to complete the activity successfully, is to allow the tallest members of the group to stand at the ends of their line. They are then able to keep an eye on the shorter members in the centre. In order for the whole team to hear the instructions given by the leader clearly, he/she needs to be located in the centre of the line.
Take a photo of the group’s movements along the way, this will be a good means of assessing their progress and can assist in making a sound ruling when they cross the finish line.
Debrief and Review of Photo Finish
Here are few questions to ask the group, which will help them to process their experience of playing Photo Finish:
- Did you have a plan before you started the challenge?
- Did you elect a leader and why?
- Did you manage time effectively?
- Was there one member of the group who came up with the best plan?
- Was team work important? Is there place for improvement?
- Did you convey information effectively?
- Was it necessary to change your plan at any stage?
- What was the objective for the activity? Is there anything that hindered you in completing your objective?